Hole-in-the-Rock Landmarks and People

Hole-in-the-Rock Landmarks and People
Answers at bottom of the left column.

January 14, 2010

Barney, Danielson Buren and Laura Matthews

Barney, Danielson Buren
Born: September 14, 1831, in Amherst, Ohio

Died: 12 January 1922 and was buried by the side of his wife in the Thatcher Cemetery.
Marriage: (1) Laura Matthews, on April 23, 1857
(2) Sophia Arkansas Hulsey, January 6, 1885
Father: Edson Ballou Barney, a member of Zion’s Camp
Mother: Lillis Ballou Barney
Children on the trek: Buren Onley (Birth 28 September 1860 29 20 -- Provo, Utah, Utah, USA--Death 30 January 1904 (Age 43) -- Thatcher, Graham, Arizona, USA), Alfred Alonzo (Birth 8 September 1865 3325 -- St. George, Washington County, Utah--Death 24 July 1942 (Age 76) -- Payson, Utah, Utah), Laura May (Birth 4 August 1868 3628 -- Pine Valley, Washington County, Utah--Death 17 March 1955 (Age 86) -- Thatcher, Graham County, Arizona) , Rachel Sophey (Birth 16 September 1870 3930 -- Pine Valley, Washington County, Utah--Death 23 April 1948 (Age 77) -- Alameda, Alameda, California), Edson Elroy, Eliza Melina, Betsey Maud, Ella Bird (Birth 24 April 1877 -- Pine Valley, Washington County, Utah--Death 11 February 1935 (Age 57)
(additional genenealogy information) (10 of their family) 
Thanks to the Barney family for their great site!

Childhood Spent Among the Early Saints

Danielson Buran Barney was born 14 September 1831 in Amherst, Ohio. His parents, Edson and Lillis Ballou Barney, had converted to the LDS faith in the spring of that same year. The family moved several times during Danielson’s childhood in company with the early Saints, the first move taking them to Kirtland, Ohio, following his father’s return from Zion’s Camp. While living in Kirtland, young Danielson attended school inside the Kirtland Temple for a time.

Danielson Buren Barney, a veteran elder in the St. Joseph Stake, Arizona. His father's family had joined the church in the spring of 1831. They moved to Kirtland, Ohio, after his father had returned from Missouri whence he had gone as a member of Zion's camp. Danielson learned to read in the school taught in the Kirtland temple. As a child he moved about with the saints until they reached Nauvoo, Illinois. Here he was baptized by the Prophet Joseph Smith in the Mississippi River. He experienced the mobbings incident to the saints being driven out of Illinois.

One time in Nauvoo, he was asked to be a guard. He sat on the gate and watched that the mob did not come to harm the Prophet, Joseph Smith. The mob did not come that day, but he was a boy at his post all day. He participated in the exodus from Nauvoo in 1846. He spent the following winter at Winter Quarters. He resided temporarily in Pottawatamie County, Iowa. In 1851 the family immigrated to Utah and located at Provo, where Danielson experienced hardships and danger during the wars with Indians and grasshoppers.
   In 1855 he was called on a mission to the States, where he met and married Laura Matthews. He also converted her to the Church. She was the only one of her family to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter- Day Saints. They were married 23 April 1857, by Elder Barber. He returned home from this mission in 1857. When Danielson was ready to go home from his mission, he only had $2.50 in his pocket. He said he thought he might need it for emergency. He worked his way home and saved his $2.50.

    He was called from Provo to Dixie in 1861. He settled in St. George, Utah where he resided for many years. He helped build the St. George Temple. He moved to Pine Valley and bought a saw mill from William Gardner. He sawed lumber for the St. George Tabernacle and many residences in St. George. In 1879 he was called to Arizona. They temporarily went to San Juan first. On their way to San Juan, they were with the expedition that went through the Hole in The Rock. They had to chisel and dig out a roadway through solid rock. That 'is why it was called the hole in the rock. Some of the men were making the hole in the rock to get through, others were making a raft to ferry themselves across the Colorado River. In some Places they had to take their wagons to pieces and carry them down a piece at a time. They were pioneers and were making the best of what they had. On one ferry boat as they were crossing, the oxen began hooking and crowding the cows. They crowded the cows off into the river, and then jumped off themselves. Alfred the son of Danielson went off into the river with the cattle. He got out all right. The cattle went back to shore. They could not turn the ferry around, so they went on across and towed the boat up stream, then crossed back for the cattle. When they were going up a hill, one of the horses balked and backed them over the edge. The wagon tipped over about four times and landed right side up at the bottom of the hill. The horses were on top of it with the tongue broken. The horses were not hurt. Danielson's little daughter, Birdette, who was about five years old, was asleep in the wagon, but she was not hurt. They had two little pigs in a pen on the back of the wagon and they were both killed. They straightened up the wagon, fixed the wagon tongue and went on their way.

   The first year they were in San Juan, the Indians stole all their horses and drove them towards Blue Mountains. They were followed by a posse of men, they got most of them back. He helped build a canal from the San Juan River, but they could not keep the dam in the river, so he went to Durango, Colorado to work. While he was away his cattle died on the San Juan. While in Colorado he hauled lumber and timber from Barnes and Jones Saw Mill to Durango to help build the city. He moved from here to Luna Valley, New Mexico. He stayed there two years. It was here he met and married Sophia Hulsey as a second wife. They made a trip to St. George, Utah and were sealed for eternity in the St. George Temple. She was the widow of George Miner Dalis Underwood. She had one child named Sarah, by Mr. Underwood. She and Danielson had five children: George, Royal, William, Laura, and Myrtle.

   In 1886 he moved to Gila Valley and settled in Thatcher, Arizona. When they were coming from Luna Valley To Gila Valley, they followed the top of the mountain called Black Hills, north east of Gila Valley. They followed the top of the mountain, because there wasn't any road built down the canyon. They came to a place where they thought it was impossible to go down the hill. They plowed several furrows around the hills and kept the upper wheels in these furrows so the wagons would not tip over. They put a long pine log across the top of the wagon and several men were on the end of the log above the wagon. That kept the wagons from tipping over. They moved several wagons around these steep hills in this manner and never lost a wagon.

In 1890 he had to make an underground trip to Mexico because he had two living wives. The law was finding every man they could that lived in polygamy and was putting them in jail. They couldn't desert their families, so all they could do was hide from the officers. He lived the remainder of his life in Thatcher, Arizona. He was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He was ordained a Patriarch in the St. Joseph Stake in 1912. He was set apart with Patriarch Samuel Claridge, by President Andrew Kimball, the Stake President, and was to travel throughout the entire Stake to bless the people. These two Patriarchs traveled with a horse and buggy. They visited and blessed many people in the Gila Valley. He set apart a room at the home of his son, Alfred, in Thatcher to give his blessings. His granddaughters, Ada and Frances, were his scribes and took down the blessings he gave in short hand, then copied them in his book. He gave many blessings to his own family as well as others. He was a wonderful man and lived a goodly life.

He died 12 January 1922 and was buried by the side of his wife in the Thatcher Cemetery.


She was born February 9, 1840 in the state of Ohio and then her family moved to Illinois and then to Wisconsin. She was reared in a family of four - of which she was the third child. Her father was a wealthy man who gave his children a good education. She became a school teacher. Her family were Baptists. Laura had read the Bible many times, which showed she was naturally religious.
    She met a young Mormon missionary from Provo, Utah and accepted his invitation to attend their meetings. He afterwards gave her a Book of Mormon. She read it many times in her room and pondered over it. She asked him to let her father read it. The missionary told her she would have to be very careful with the book because they were very scarce at that time. The Book of Mormon converted Laura to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She later married the young missionary who was Danielson Buren Barney. She left her home and all her people for the church. He came home from his mission and then went back and brought her to Provo, Utah where they were married.

    They stayed there until they had three children and they were called by President Brigham Young to go to St. George, Utah where they went through many hardships. Her husband worked on the St. George Temple. Their principal diet was cornbread and molasses.
    They were then called to Pine Valley. Her husband worked at the saw mill helping to saw lumber to build up St. George and Pine Valley. She ran a boarding house and cooked for the men. While in Pine valley she had the rest of her children - seven more making a total of ten. They went through many hardships raising their family.

    President Erastus Snow called them to come to Arizona. There was such bad weather that they could not travel so stopped on the way to earn more money. They stopped at Panguitch, Utah and worked at what they could before continuing their mission. They again stopped in Luna, New Mexico. During the cold winter they lost many of their cattle but finally made it to Thatcher, Arizona.
     One of the hardest trials was when her husband married his second wife. Although she had given her consent because of the gospel teaching, it was not easy. He went back to St. George to bring his second wife, Sophia Hulsey, to Arizona. She drove one team and her son drove the other one, and the rest of her children drove the cattle to Thatcher, Arizona.

     In Thatcher Laura Matthews Barney was constantly on call to help the sick. She also served as a midwife - going night or day to deliver babies all over the valley. Her granddaughter, Mary Vane Barney Carpenter, often told her children this memory of her grandmother. She said one night her first baby, Buren, was very miserable with the earache. She had tried all she knew to relieve his pain but finally gave up and her husband went to waken Grandma Barney who came in the middle of the night to help. She asked for a good plump raisin. This was warmed thoroughly then was gently pressed into the crying baby's ear. In no time at all, he had quieted down and was asleep.
     She was one of the first counselors in the Thatcher Ward Relief Society under President Elizabeth Moody from 1890 until 1898. She was in the Stake Presidency of the Relief Society with Elizabeth Layton and Maggie Brinkerhoff. She was a faithful member of the church all of her life. She died December 27, 1917 in Thatcher, Arizona.

Their youngest daughter Ella Bird was a victim of one of the few rollover accidents on the trip. As their wagon climbed Cottonwood Hill, their wagon tipped over sideways. As everything they had on the wagon tipped out and broke, Bird Ella, rolled up in a feather bed, escaped harm. After a couple of such incidents, precautions were taken to prevent this happening. Two men followed beside each wagon holding the rear wheels onto the grade with ropes. However, it still remained a hazardous crossing (*Hole in the Rock Site).

No comments: