Hole-in-the-Rock Landmarks and People

Hole-in-the-Rock Landmarks and People
Answers at bottom of the left column.

January 13, 2010

Cox, Samuel and Sarah Gane

Child on the trek: Sarah Marchant (Read her story)
Samuel was one of three violinists on the trek,  They furnished music for the dances whenever they could find a hard smooth surface.  Cox also had a trumpet as did Charles Walton. These were used not only for musical selections, but to call the camp together, and for morning and evening prayers (Miller, 46).

Samuel Cox we believe was born 7 February 1834 Westcranmond, Somerset, England.  His parents were Abraham Cock and Francis .  He died 17 May 1926 in Beazer, Alberta, Canada. This is where his daughter later died as well in 1906 after the birth of her 10th child.

Sarah Gane was born about 17 November 1833 Shepton Mallet, England.  She died 23 January 1915.  Her parents were George Gane and Jane Marchant Gane.

From Cox/Olson History:
Samuel Cox and his wife Sarah Gane arrived in Cardston May 21st 1898. They traveled from Price, Utah to Lethbridge by train and then to Cardston by wagon. They were accompanied by their only child, a daughter, Sarah Marchant and her husband Erastus Olsen and their four children, Clarence age 9, Clara age 5, Gane age 4, and Murrel age 2. They lived in a log house east of Biglow home. During the first summer in Carston another son was born to them, Charles who lived only a few weeks. Both families moved to Aetna , June 8th 1900.

Samuel Cox built a rock home across the street from his daughter. He was a talented carpenter by trade and had a great love for music and drama. He was called on to organize a ward choir, serve as ward chorister and drama director. His wife Sara Gane, although past 60, had a special talent as an administering angel. Prior to her coming to Canada she had been a midwife and home nurse, traveling by horse to far off areas day or night. It didn’t take long for the people of Aetna to realize they had a true friend. She was called as Relief society President. Everyone called her to deliver babies, nurse the sick, or treat the injured. She never expected or received pay but willing gave of her talents to anyone in need. She was devoted to her daughter and stayed close to her to help her as long as she lived.

After their daughter died following the birth of her 10th child, Sarah Gane took the baby Carl to her home to care for though at this time passed 70.  They moved from the ranch into a little comfortable home he built in Beazer across from the school. Grandma Cox, as she was lovingly called, continued her active life with her grandchildren, her church and the community. When friends admonished her to take it easy she would laugh and say “Well at least I won't rust out.” And she certainly didn’t. After she was passed 70 she served as Relief Society President, Sunday school teach, and cared for a baby until he was six years old, at which time his Father asked that he be returned to the family unit. She showed great love and concern for her grandchildren as long as she lived. To the younger children she became the only Mother they could remember.

She suffered a stroke in November 1914 and was bedfast until her death. Her granddaughter Myrtle, although only 15 years old moved into the Cox home to care for her. Friends came from as far away as Aetna to express love, to sit with her, to care for her during the long nights, that Myrtle might rest. On January 23, 1915 she suffered a second stroke and died. She was loved by all who ever knew her.

It was bitter cold and heavy snow. The ground had to be opened with a pick. Samuel built a cement vault large enough for both of them. In order to keep the cement from freezing lanterns were lit inside and it was covered until dry. Samuel built the casket for her himself, because he wanted it well built and beautiful. It was perhaps his finest work. He chose Maple wood. When completed the Sisters lined it with sating and padded the outside and covered it with velvet brocade. The handles and graven nameplate were silver. Indeed no finer casket could have been bought. She was laid to rest in the Beazer cemetery 26 January 1915.

Samuel took the wood that was left and fashioned a beautiful violin, which he often played. He was a very lonely man, living some at the Olsen ranch with his grandchildren, and some at his little home alone. Through a friend who knew her, he agreed to send to Sweden to have a sister come out to take care of him. Her name was Marta Ruda. She was a staunch member of the church and had been a cook in the mission home, and a mother to every missionary passing by. Upon her arrival they were married. She spoke no English, he no Swedish, but he set about to teach her. She learned remarkably well for a women her age. They got along well and she took good care of him until his death, May 18, 1926.

Marta Ruda was a very industrious woman, a fine cook and a friend to all. She greatly enjoyed temple work. She continued to live on in the little house Samuel Cox built in Beazer. She became “Aunt Marta” to most of the ward, although she had no direct family and no friend who spoke her native tongue. She died in Beazer of a heart condition February 25, 1935.

1 comment:

Larry said...

Very touching beautiful music, brings too mind the hardships and sacrifice of our pioneers,thank you