Hole-in-the-Rock Landmarks and People

Hole-in-the-Rock Landmarks and People
Answers at bottom of the left column.

January 5, 2010

Walton, Charles Eugene and Jane McKechnie

Children who came through the Hole:  Charles Eugene, Jr., Frances Magnolia, Leona Jane

Charles E. Walton Sr. left Bountiful and moved to Woodruff, Rich County in Utah.  He set up a store but was not able to work in it long as the family was called to settle Southeastern Utah.  In the fall of 1879, Charles E. Walton was called to go to the San Juan country to help settle that part of Utah.

On the 1st of October 1879 he took his family in the company with Samuel Bryson began the long hard journey to San Juan. He says, “Our outfit consisted of a yoke of wild bulls, a yoke of wild steers, four horses, a mare and colt, and thirty head of stock. Eleven head of our own and the balance belonging to Sister Hatch of Bountiful. Unlike most of the other pioneers of San Juan, the Waltons began their journey nearly 300 miles north of Hole in the Rock.  The first day we traveled as far as the “Survey Springs” and camped for the night. The next day we reached the foot of Wasatch Hill.” Friday the 3rd of October 1879 they started down Echo Canyon. About three miles down one wagon was upset. The only damage being a broken chair and the end of the reach. “We then traveled on, having a good many narrow escapes from tipping over.” . . .They reached Bountiful October 8th where they spent several days with Jane’s mother “Sister Hatch.” Friday, October 17, they started out for Southeastern Utah, camping the first night at Sugar House Ward. The next day they reached the “Point of the Mountain.” Sunday, Oct. 19, they drove through Lehi and on to American Fork. Next day to Springville then toYouk and Salt Creek, then to Levan and on to the Sevier River. They reached Monroe, 30 October and then Marysvale. It began snowing when they arrived at Potato Valley November 7, where they had to leave some of their stock.The  After many arduous weeks of travel the group reached Forty Mile Springs. Here they camped until it was deemed feasible to go onward. The Waltons arrived in Bluff with the main company on April 6, 1880.

When Charles Sr. arrived in Bluff he helped in the routine pioneer tasts.  He taught school for several years, presented many home dramatic plays, and played the violin for numerous dances and parties.  He was the first postmaster at Bluff.  He sang in the choir and was clerk for several civic and church organizations.  When he move to Monticello in 1888, he raised wheat.  He procured a binder and did custom threshing all over the country.
Thanks to Michael R. King for providing additional stories about the Waltons: http://www.kingutah.com/

Jane McKechnie, his wife, of was Scotch parentage and was born July 16, 1846 in Edinburgh, Scotland.  Her mother was left a widow with three small children and Jane had to help at home while her mother went out to work.  About this time the mother accepted the Restored Gospel and joined the LDS faith.  After several years of working and planning, in 1850 she set sail with her three children for America.  Following their carefully laid plans, the family journeyed to Council Bluffs.  Here they remained for a year.  They then joined Thomas Howell's handcart company on June 9, 1852.  Three months later they reached Salt Lake, having walked most of the way.  Her mother remarried, and Jane  herded sheep and did other tasks to help the family.  Jane participated in  he "exodus" when Johson's Army entered Utah.
   On Feb. 27, 1867, she married Carles E. Walton.  For about four years they lived in Bountiful, where three children were born.  They then moved to Woodruff in Rich County.  They were then called to help settle the San Juan Mission in 1879.  They sold all their property and made preparations to go.  On Oct. 1, 1879 about 3 PM they started the journey south.
Jane Walton became the first Stake President of the Relief Society.  Her work carried her all over the area, which included Moab, Mancos, and part of New Mexico, in buggy or wagon, in heat or cold. 
Her death occured from an accidental shooting during the 24th of July dance in the little log meeting house in Monticello.  Drunk cowboys caused the disturbance.  She was killed just 8 days after her 45th birthday, in 1891  (Saga of San Juan.)

Jens Nielson's daughter, Lucinda, was an eye witness to the events of that tragedy: July 24, 1891
"The summer of 1891 I was in Monticello staying with my sister Margaret. On Pioneer Day Frank took me to the dance. Every one was dressed in costume. Frank had on pants of factory his mother had made . It was the same as their house was lined with. Every one was in for good time, some of the merrymakers expressed it as “having a good time.”
     Many cowboys were around. McCord and Tom Roach were great pals but neither would take a suggestion from the other. Roach could sing and entertain and dance, and was very popular but when he had a drink he was a rascal.
    Peter Bailey was dancing with Tom Roach’s wife and Tom stepped up and said he wanted that dance, and gave Peter a slap that knocked him down. Frank [Lucinda's husband] saw he had had a drink and jumped up and tried to satisfy Roach. But Roach whipped out a knife and stabbed Frank in the back. There was a gash there that bled and left an ugly scar that he carried all his life, but it was not a serious wound.
    Then Roach went to get his gun and Frank  came over and took me to my brother Jo and asked him to care for me. Eve Adams came to us and said: “It is Frank that Roach wants, who doesn’t he go out the back window?” But Frank had already gone and did not get back but stayed at his home to have his wound taken care of.
    Roach ordered everyone out so he could pick those he wanted. We all stood outside the dance floor in a straight line. There was shooting all around and McCoard and Sister Walton fell. No one knew exactly who did the killing.
   Tom Roach’s wife saw it and came and cried over Sister Walton, and told how good she had always been to everyone. Whether or not she thought it was Roach’s bullet that had killed her, we did not know, but when Roach saw she was dead, he jumped on his horse and was never seen there again.
There was no more dancing that night. They took Sister Walton home and laid her out on the floor. Everyone in the whole country mourned for her. The Indians cut their hair close as a token of their great respect for her. Lucinda then added: I never did enjoy going to dances in Monticello, for one never knew when the cowboys would come in and take over. But Frank and I both loved to dance."

History of Jane Walton  Free shipping in the US for Hole-in-the-Rock families.

Children on the Trek: Frances Magnolia, Leona Jane, Charles E. Walton Jr. (More information on Children of the Rock

When Charles came with his parent's through the Hole-in-theRock, he was about 12 years old.  Because of his small size he was able to help in the building of the road down the Hole, by beling let down over a cliff with a rope and placing the dynamite in especially placed holes.
   He moved to Verdure from Bluff in 1887, and then into Monticello in 1888.  He became a devoted Church worker, serving as Bishop for several years.  He was the first postmaster in Monticello and served 30 years in that capacity.  He married Louise Hyde.  The couple had 5 children: Jean, Olive, Ila, Pearl, and William (Saga of San Juan.)

The Bailey family history/genalogy site has good information on the family.
At the end of the history it states:
An article in Utah Since Statehood reads: "Charles Eugene Walton obtained a common school education at Bluff and one year at the Brigham Young University. In 1901 he went with his father to Logan where he worked in the sugar factory. In later years he returned to Monticello and has since been engaged in farming and cattle raising in addition to his city and county work. He is the owner of excellent farm property and is interested in the roller mill and water and light company."

In January, 1935 he became treasurer of San Juan County for a term of four years. He served his Church as bishop (1923-28), high councilman, Sunday School superintendent, Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association president, and as ward clerk.

Wonderful family photos of the Walton and McKechnie family from Mike King web site.

1 comment:

printcop said...

for information on the Walton family that participated in Hole in the Rock, see: www.KingUtah.com